Friday, October 12, 2012

Feliz Cumpleanos

We had been in Chile for one week when I turned 34.  I never would have imagined a few months ago that I would be celebrating this day here :)  Joe got the kids up early and snuck out of the house.  When I heard the doorbell buzz, I was greeted by 3 big smiles, 2 dozen roses, and a box of Dunkin Donuts!  So cute.  They set everything up and we all had a yummy breakfast while Joe told me that he discovered the donut shop didn't open up until 9:30am.  What type of donut shop opens up that late??  Amazing. 

We had a 3 hour customs lesson later that day and then we got a call that Kate had been accepted to Nido de Aguilas. 
School.  I'll admit it has been a weight on my shoulders.  I have homeschooled Kate from day one.  We have loved it.  I've loved the flexibility; I've loved being in control of what she learns and how quickly she does it; I've loved our homeschooling community and the friendships we've made; I've loved the time we've been able to spend together.  When we found out we'd be coming down here, Joe's company said they would pay to put Kate into the best Private American School in the country, as long as they accepted her.  I just assumed I would keep homeschooling because it would allow us that much more flexiblity.  Joe felt strongly that Kate should get started in the school, so she could learn Spanish and have an amazing experience with friends from around the world.  I did agree, but worried a bit!  The days are long!  We'd be going from being around each other all day to only a few hours a day.  They weren't sure they even had a spot open for her, so we went ahead and made an appointment for her to get the testing done and have a tour of the school. 
She was really nervous and was really quiet as Ms. Nancy, the counselor, showed her around the school.  Nancy was amazing.  I fell in love with her instantly.  After Kate completed all of the testing, she looked at Ms. Nancy and with a smile on her face, she said, "I'd like to play the flute.  Can I do that here?"  Where the heck did that come from?  I had never heard that request before! 
Anyway, I got a message on my birthday that Kate had been accepted and she'd start school on Monday.  We ran out and got her uniform right then.  More on that to come. 

A little gift the kids surprised me with when I opened the kitchen cabinet :)

We went out after and tried to catch a movie together as a family.  We were 10 minutes late and found out that the movie which said it would be in English, was in fact in Spanish.  Decided to stay--it was Tinkerbell, and the kids wanted to see it, even if they couldn't understand it.  The popcorn is buttered with oil instead of butter.  We ended the night at a yummy Italian restaurant and finally found my special hair dryer so I could actually style my hair.  Yeah!  We were exhausted.  It was a good day. 

1 comment:

anitamombanita said...

happy belated birthday, Julie...

a few good restaurants we've enjoyed when you and the hubs have a date night...Liguria (Italian, in Providencia), Como Agua Para Chocolate in Bellavista (near the base of the gondola and Parque Metropolitano), El Huerto (vegetarian in Providencia on Calle Orrego Luco (my favorite, actually)