Friday, September 20, 2013

Kauai Marathon

The first I had heard of the Kauai marathon was 3 days before it was to happen, as we were driving to our hotel.  There was a sign on the side of the road warning of it's closure due to the race.  "Oh how fun that it's going on while we are here!"  I thought to myself.  I think I even mentioned something along the same lines to Joe.  
 Friday night at dinner, the race came up.  Jen looked at me and said with a smile on her face, "Wanna do it?"  I laughed.  I chuckled in fact.  The kind of all-knowing-you-are-insane-we-haven't-trained kind of laugh.  "We haven't trained.  No."  Was my reply.
 The following day, Saturday, I was helping Joe get ready to leave for the airport.  We had to leave at 3:30pm.  "So are you going to do it?"  Joe asked.  "Please just don't do anything dumb."  It was dumb.  The most I'd been running was maybe 6 miles.  And, I'd vowed after my last couple marathons, that I'd only do halfs.  They were easier on my body and took less time to train for.  I knew that my muscles would be like shredded pork in the crockpot at the end of this.  "I don't know."  
 I also knew that Jen really wanted to do it.  It was her first race.  She had never volunteered to do a race with me before.  And it would be so easy because the starting line was right outside of our hotel!  Around 2:30pm, Jen stopped by our room.  "Registration closes at 4pm.  Do you wanna do it?"  
 Pregnant pause.  "Yep."  We ran over to the hotel, grabbed a map, and when the lady asked if we were doing the half or the full, we looked at each other and said, "Sure, let's do the full--why not!"  And then we laughed.  
 I came home in time to take Joe to the airport with my number and shirt.  I promised him I wouldn't be dumb and he just shook his head.  "Text me when it's over, OK?"  The kids must have sensed something exciting was about to happen, because the next morning at 5AM, Kate peaked out of her pitch black room with a huge smile on her face and exclaimed, "Good Luck, Mom!!!
  Don't come in last!"  She used to ask me if I won the races.  I had to explain to her that I was never a contender for 1st...I was more of a middle of the pack type of girl. 
Normally, with 4 months of training, I could promise her I wouldn't be last.  Now...I wasn't so sure.  Jen and I promised each other we'd have fun.  How could we not?!  We were together--we'd witness hula shows, Polynesian music, get caught in torrential rainstorms and even see rainbows.     



 We ran the half without stopping and as soon as we turned off to complete the extremely hilly marathon course (biggest hills I've ever run in a marathon before), we decided a walk/jog approach was best.  


It didn't matter how long the race took us.  It was the most fun I've ever had doing one.  I'm sure it was my partner :)  
 Ben, Kate and Gracie came from the end to meet us and run with us to the finish line.  Mom had my kids the entire time and Dad took pictures so we'd never forget the day we signed up for a marathon on a whim.  
 Memories were definitely made.  Loved almost every second of it :)


The best part?  We made our kids proud.  We didn't come in last :)  And I only resembled a cripple for 2 days after the race, instead of the usual week.  Maybe I should do marathons this way more often.  Plus, we got a sweet visor out of it :)  Thanks Jen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...you go!!! I saw Jen today at Rachel Tan's birthday party for Elisha. Told me about your run and your exciting news! Congrats, que aventura! Love Rachel and her family and you all too

Debra said...

How fun & funny! I like the paradise sign with 6 miles still left. What a fun family! Now THAT is spontaneous!