Monday, September 24, 2018

Mack, Me and the Farm

After our exhilarating, non-stop summer, just like that, the kids were back in school.  I mourned a bit.  Mack mourned a bit.  And then we noticed that Switzerland was blessing us with sunshine, and LOTS OF IT!  So, for the last couple of months, Mack and I have spent most of our mornings up above our house in the most beautiful farmland that I never tire of.  We have a deal.  I fill the jogger with snacks and water and a couple of toys, and together we set out on about a 30 minute trek.  We say hello to the cows, the berries, the sheep and the pigs.  He lets me sweat a bit without stopping, but he always knows when we are getting close to his favorite farm, because suddenly he sits up in his seat and points and yells, "Slide!!!!!"   I park the jogger and Mack hops out and we play at the farm with the playground and the corn maze and the animals for another half hour or so.  
There are ALWAYS fun things to do.

 We get a little wet


 We eat with the cows and listen to them chat


 We spend a little time with the peacocks


 We watch the pumpkins take their bath

 We check out the local produce

 And wonder which pumpkins to try...all of their suggestions are in German, and although I'm taking lessons, I'm still a little slow to pick up on the vernacular.


When I have completely cooled down and am a bit stiff (haha), I load Mack reluctantly back up into the jogger.  And we take off again, on our half hour journey home.  This time, with the promise to stop and say hello to the chickens, the geese, the bees and of course the little piglets that were born not too long ago.





 This is our routine.  Mack knows it.  He has it down pat.  And I love it.  Friday, we jogged passed the pigs with the promise to see them on our way back, and the farmer had all sorts of picnic tables set up and they were grilling sausages right next to the pigs!  I chuckled --Torture for those poor pigs...but on our loop, I could pick up fresh eggs and milk, vegetables, jam and honey, and now the occasional sausage,  if I had enough space!

 I came home and told Joe that if I could pick up that land and those paths and take them with me wherever we go, it would be heaven.  I think someone else feels the very same ;)


No comments: