Tuesday, September 4, 2018

It's Picture Day

Today was picture day for Luke.   I remembered this as I drove into the school parking lot and up to the curb.  I grabbed a water bottle that had been rolling around in our car for the past few days and as he got out of the car and put his backpack on, I opened the top of the bottle, stuck my fingers in it and did my best to tame his bed head.  

"There you go, honey!  Have a great day!  I love you!"  And off he ran.  I felt a little sheepish that I didn't have him in a cute collared shirt and shorts to go with it.  Oh Sigh.  We said goodbye to Jake, fully aware that his pictures were the following day, and I vowed at LEAST I wouldn't forget the gel.  (Kate's pictures were the day after Jake's-- but she keeps track of that sort of thing...)

The day moved about it's normal busy self--and before I knew it, Mack and I were bringing the kids home from school.  Luke came in and threw himself on the floor with his feet perched up on the couch.  He was apparently tired of being in school for "his whole entire life."  And then he mumbled quietly, "I was the only one in my class in t-shirts and sports shorts today, Mom."  

Achem... What was that, Luke?  You were the only one wearing a tshirt?  Yep.  I'm the only parent from his class who sent her kid to school on picture day in his good ol' t-shirt and athletic shorts.  Oh crapola.  I tried to make him feel better by saying that I bet he was the comfiest kid in school today.  And I got a little smile.  I'll try harder next year.

But here's the thing.  I called Joe (he was in London this week) and told him what happened.  And then at the exact same time, we said, "But you know, it's perfect."  Because Luke LIVES in his t-shirts and exercise shorts.  And usually his shirt is on backwards.  It's more comfortable that way, he says.  And most days he might not even have the same socks on, or one will be inside out.  So, at least today he walked into school with his shirt on right and two matching pairs of socks.  And when we see his class picture, it will make us smile just that much more, because it will encapsulate why we love this kid so much.    

No comments: