Friday, September 28, 2018

40th Birthday Shocker!!!

Joe's not great at keeping secrets.  He gets too excited and drops comments here and there or makes facials that let me know something is up.  So, when he hadn't mentioned ANYTHING a week before my big 4-0, I started wondering if I should go ahead and let the kids go to the parties they had been invited to that weekend.  Wednesday night after our big YW in Excellence, we got home and got everyone in bed, and then threw ourselves on the couch to relax for a bit.  Then he casually said, "You can RSVP yes for the kids parties. I don't see why they would interfere with anything."  I was a touch disappointed...until he continued, "But you need to pack your bags."  WHAT?!?!?!
 Here we are at the airport.  Just the two of us.  With one suitcase a purse and a backpack (!!!!!) (Traveling light really is all it's hyped up to be!!!!!).  Joe had orchestrated something so complex without my knowledge, that he reached genius status.  He organized 4 different family friends to help watch our kids for the weekend, including taking them to all of their "things," so we could escape to London.  
 I was beyond ecstatic.  Mostly because he's the best.  But also for a few other reasons...

1.  I'd never been to London
2.  I wasn't the one organizing our itinerary
3.  I couldn't remember (neither could he) the last time it was just the 2 of us for a getaway
4.  HE GOT TICKETS TO HAMILTON
5.  He planned the entire weekend, so I could just happily go along with whatever he had organized.
(I realize I kind of already said this in #2...but you don't understand...this was huge...I plan and organize all of our trips.  It takes a ton of time, and although I enjoy it, it also is a bit stressful at times, when I'm trying to make sure I have everything organized and lined up...often times we just plan for hiccups and then no one can get too upset!  Hahahaha!)
6.  The best part?  Us.  Together.  For 2 1/2 days.  
 So, we took a taxi to our hotel that was right across the street from Buckingham Palace.  
Couldn't get enough of the taxis!  I'm a huge fan. 

 We checked in and dropped our stuff off in our room.  I found I had a little surprise waiting for me.  


 40 is going to be great.  I can feel it already.  

And then we changed and hit the town!  
We went through Buckingham Palace and walked around the gardens...
                                                 


 We checked out the guards and grounds around the palace...




 And then we walked right back by our hotel on our way to see Hamilton. 


 I caught a double decker and a taxi in the same pic!  Had to be quick to capture that one!


 I was so excited.  


 And it really was incredible.  


We celebrated with a little Shake Shack after the performance around midnight and called it a night.  A truly incredible start to our weekend! 


No comments: