Wednesday, July 24, 2013

America's Birthday

Celebrating the 4th of July was somehow a little sweeter for me this year.  I love having the opportunity to claim the term "Expat" for a brief moment in my life, but there is nothing like coming home.  I couldn't wait to hop in the car and turn on the radio and belt out "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..."  
Chris and Kalei came down from SF so they could hang out with us.  We had so much fun.  I've missed them a lot.  We woke up on July 4th and Chris announced that he was heading to Santa Cruz to go surfing before we got together with the rest of the family in the afternoon...would we like to join?  Pass up the beach?  I don't think so.  We threw some stuff in a bag and were off.    
 Santa Cruz is always cold in the mornings.  I know.  I drove over Highway 17 almost every day for 2 years while I was in Dental Hygiene school.  So, to forgot sweatshirts for my crew, was a pretty lame Julie moment.  We opened the doors of the car in the parking lot and were met with a crisp, cool breeze.  It was freezing.  I really don't know how Chris jumps into that water even with a wet suit on. I've only done it a handful of times.  No thank you.  I'll wait till Hawaii :)  THANKFULLY, by the time we had everything set up, the sun was making it's way into our souls and we were ready to play.  
 Kalei had the boys totally entertained.
 Chris, catching a few waves, while Jake was catching a few sand crabs...
 with Luke hot on his tail.  

BG and Kate had such a collection of mollusks, that people were coming from all ends of the beach to check it out.  BG has always known all of the secrets when it comes to the sand and surf.  
After a couple of hours, the waves died down and the clouds rolled in again.  Time to go.  
We still had a huge pool party at Jen and Matt's with all of the extended family and fireworks to enjoy that night!  We needed to get a move on!  

Still awaiting the pictures that Dad took from that evening.  I was having too much fun catching up, so I took absolutely none.  Need to borrow a few :)  I'll post them soon.  It was a blast.  Loved loved loved being all together with the Hansen's, Patterson's and Mobilio's.  Just wish Joe could have been there to celebrate with us!  Missed him a lot, especially during the fireworks.  The kids were mesmerized; we were with family; the Patriotic music was blaring; it was a magical moment and was practically perfect--just needed his hand to hold.  So grateful for him and how hard he works so we can have this wonderful life that we do.  

No comments: