Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"Learn to Swim" Program

Jake has known how to swim for a long while now.  In fact, when I signed him up a few months ago for lessons with a little friend, (figuring it'd be something social and fun for him to enjoy), he looked at me and said, "Why can't I just swim?!!  Why do I have to do what she tells me to do?!"  I think he needed a different class fit for his level.  Thankfully, the woman didn't speak a lick of English, so he didn't come across as incredibly rude to her!!! But when I heard that Nido (Kate's school) was offering swim classes, I knew he would LOVE it.  I had been watching the coaches with the younger kids during Kate's swim team practices and they were so incredible and FUN!  
Plus, you can't beat the facility.  
So his first class was last week.  There he is on the end.  See how far he is sitting from the girl next to him?  Apparently, he decided that he wanted nothing to do with the girls in the class.  This posed a problem a couple of times when the coaches told them all to sit on the side.  They would point for Jake to sit down and he would shake his head "no."  Lovely.  When I finally asked him what the deal was, he replied, "I didn't want to sit next to a girl."  I have no clue when and where this became such a concern!!!  Another issue?  The goggles.  He wanted them, the coaches didn't.  He was stubborn.  Oooooohhhhh so stubborn.  But by the end of the class, his coach had him diving without them!  Huge accomplishment for Jake--he grew about 10 inches that day and the perma-grin was still there when he went to bed.  
THANKFULLY he LOVES his coaches and LOVES  the class.  I couldn't ask for a better fit... the class is during one of the hours of Kate's practice....perfect!  Wish we could do this all year :)  

No comments: