Sunday, June 26, 2011

Back in the Hospital??

Not for long. But it brought back a lot of memories from his first few weeks of life. I noticed a bump on Luke's forehead 2 days after he was born. It continued to grow and we discovered after meeting with Dr. Daane at Children's Hospital that it was a dermoid cyst and it needed to be removed. Sure, when should it be done? We expected to hear "at 2 years of age" or maybe even later. "As soon as possible," was his reply. Because Luke was a preemie, we had to wait until he was 6 months old. So, the day after I took those cute pictures, he went into surgery. June 9, 2011. What a trooper. He was the best. He couldn't eat anything after 4 AM, so as we waited to get him prepped for surgery, we expected tears. What did our little guy do? He fell asleep in Joe's arms. It made it a little bit easier to hand him over to the WONDERFUL staff. They actually sent us a thank you card and everyone who was involved with Luke's surgery signed and wrote a little note to him. They were incredible.
Luke in his hospital gown right before he fell asleep



The doctor came out into the waiting room much earlier than we expected. "It's done. The surgery went excellent. The cyst was much bigger than we anticipated. He did great. You can come see him."


That little body in such a big bed (and that's a child's bed!). It was hard to watch him wake up out of the anesthesia, but after he calmed down, he was back to his normal, happy, self. I fed him when we got home and then he fell asleep in my arms. We both slept for a good 2 hours. I didn't realize how nervous I was until it was all over.


We were told to expect his eye to get "ugly." It never did. We were told he'd probably be cranky. He never was. We love you, Luke. Heavenly Father sent angels to watch over you. I'm sure of it and I thank Him for it.


9 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Glad all went well, Julie. He's adorable.

=)

Carrie said...

So happy it went well...what a good patient : )

Sarah said...

So fun to catch up on you guys! Max also has a dermoid cyst, we had surgery scheduled in January but had to reschedule and we haven't done it yet... I need to get that done! I'm so glad that everything went well, it makes me less nervous about taking my baby in!

Sunny said...

He's an angel baby! Glad everything went well.

Woodruffs said...

I am so glad that everything went well. Give him a big kiss from me :)

anitamombanita said...

adorable little trooper. glad he's all good. love ya!!

Trisha said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well. He sounds like an angel. Your kids are adorable!

Emily said...

Wow! What a great baby! So glad that all went well. My 3rd (Andrew) had an arachnoid cyst and hydrocephalus. He had brain surgery and has a shunt now. It's so scary when they open your baby's head! I'm so glad that you had a good experience and good doctors...it makes all the difference!

Belinda said...

Oh my goodness, that baby and his parents have been so awesome through all of this! I'm glad he's home and happy again. We love you!