Friday, February 27, 2009

Life is Fragile

I love this picture of Joe's Mom and Kate. I took it back in the summer of 2006 at our first Berryhill Family Reunion up in Sula, Montana. It just typifies her. I see her brightest smiles when she has a baby in her arms or she's playing with her grandkids. Life=Service for Fran. I've often heard her say in so many words, "If I can't serve, I don't want to be here!" What a great example she is to me. I love her.
Well, I was stopped dead in my tracks a few weeks ago when I came home from work one Saturday. I looked at Joe and knew something was wrong. Those dreaded words came out of his mouth-- "My mom has colon cancer." We both just let the tears fall right there in the middle of the hallway before I even set my purse down...
This winter has had it's challenges. We have definitely felt them. Why do both of our moms have to face cancer at the same time? I don't know. The realization that life is fragile hit me again for the 5th time in the last 2 months. Life is constantly changing
and I'm finally realizing that it applies to me as well.
Fran went in for her surgery this last Tuesday. When we walked in to see her, the very first thing she said after hugs was, "Have you eaten? We have some food over there in the corner and Kate might like..." Yes, that is Fran.
She's going to be alright. I'm so so so grateful everything went smoothly. Once again, I'm thankful for answered prayers.

6 comments:

'Cembers Thoughts said...

our dear friend, how we love you and your family. we walked over to your house today and were sad that you were out. love you much.

Jill said...

I am so sorry!! my goodness, everything seems to be happening to you guys all at once. You're kids are getting big. I love al the updates.

Sunny said...

Oh Jules~

I'm so sorry. Gosh you guys are getting hit with the trial stick pretty hard this year. You're always in my thoughts.

AmandaS said...

Oh Julie, you really have had your "share" of things the last little while. From the little I know of Joseph, his mother must be an INCREDIBLE woman. I am certainly thinking of you . . .

Melissa Walton said...

I am so sorry guys! We will be praying for both of your moms now! Hugs to your family! We love you!

Trisha said...

What a crazy few months for your family. Know that my thoughts and prayers are for you and your family. Hang in there!